You will soon be embarking on one of the most important trips of your life i.e. coming to the ICWS to study. Some of you may have already heard that the UK is facing some unusual cold weather conditions including snow, frost and ice. To ensure that you have a safe and pleasant journey following your arrival in the UK, ICWS would like you read the following information:
1. DRESS WARMLY – wear several layers of thin clothing during your flight, for example a shirt, blouse or tee shirt followed by a jumper or cardigan. Make sure you that you have a coat or jacket to put on top of these along with a hat, scarf and pair of gloves when you arrive in the UK. Make sure you keep a spare jumper or cardigan in your hand luggage in case you should find the weather too cold on your arrival.
2. EAT WELL – make sure you eat hot meals during your journey and drink plenty of hot drinks. When you arrive in the UK make sure that you continue to do the same.
3. PLAN YOUR ROUTE BEFORE LEAVE – Make sure you know how you are going to get from the airport to Swansea. Below is a list of useful telephone numbers and website addresses for UK travel companies:
a. National Express Coaches – 08717 81 81 78 – www.nationalexpress.com
b. National Rail Enquiries – 08457 484950 ‐ www.nationalrail.co.uk
c. Gower Taxi (if pre‐booked) 01792 232456
d. Other Taxi (if pre‐booked) 01792 465599.
4. WHEN YOU ARRIVE IN THE UK – the weather may be too bad for you to travel to Swansea, so be prepared to stay in a hotel for at least one night. Below are telephone numbers and web addresses for hotels located around Heathrow Airport:
a. Ibis Hotel – 020 8759 4888 – www.accorhotels.com
b. Marriot Hotel – 020 8990 1100 – www.marriott.co.uk
c. Premier Inn Heathrow (Bath Road) – 0870 607 5075 – www. Premierinn.com
d. Premier Inn London Heathrow – 0117 9861261
e. Sofitel London Hotel – 020 8897 6363 – www.renaissancelondonheathrow.co.uk
If you are arriving at a different airport other than Heathrow, the above hotels will be able to connect you to a hotel near your arrival airport including Manchester, Birmingham, Gatwick, Luton, Cardiff, Bristol etc.
DON’T ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL TO SWANSEA IF THE WEATHER IS TOO BAD – YOU MUST KEEP YOURSELF SAFE
5. WALKING ON ICE – If you arrive to freezing weather conditions please make sure that you take care when walking. Don’t run or rush, walk steadily and stay clear of ice.
6. ARRIVING IN SWANSEA – When you arrive in Swansea, local taxis will normally be situated alongside the bus or train terminal to take you to the next stage of your journey i.e. the College, your accommodation or to a friend’s house. However, if you find that there aren’t any taxis around at the time of your arrival, below is a list of telephone numbers that you can use to call a taxi:
a. Yellow Cabs – 01792 644446
b. Data Cabs – 01792 474747
c. Swansea Cabs – 01792 588588
7. FINALLY – Keep in touch with us. Let us know if you get into any difficulty or if you are going to be delayed. ICWS Emergency Number is:
8. OTHER USEFUL NUMBERS
a. ICWS Main Switchboard – 01792 602888
b. Llys Glas Halls of Residence – 01792 462014
c. Hurst Dene Guest House (Swansea) 01792 280290
d. Premier Inn (Swansea) 0870 9906562
When the cold weather subsides we will notify you via your personal email address as provided with your application.
WE WISH YOU A SAFE AND PLEASANT JOURNEY AND LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU TO ICWS.